Events and Activities
- Local History Fair
- 06.10.2012 10.00 - 16.30
- Beacon Events
Whether it be compiling your family tree, researching the history of a village, a trade or a building, The Beacon’s Local History Fair is the perfect place to find out about the benefits of being involved in a history society.
In addition to the many societies attending the event (see list at the bottom of this page for details) there is also the chance to learn more about other museums in the area with both The Dock Museum in Barrow and Maryport Maritime Museum taking a stand.
Also attending will be INfocus, a local photography group who meet weekly at The Beacon.
Alan Routledge, founder member of INfocus, which has been running for approximately 30 years, said "Our aim is to show how valuable photographs are as historical records. Photos today will be history tomorrow. At the History Fair we hope that people will bring and share their own photos and would encourage new members to join our group."
The Local History Fair takes place in The Beacon’s Harbour Gallery and is free to enter.
Normal admission applies to the museum floors.
List of groups attending the 2012 Local History Fair
- Beckermet Local History Society
- Cartmell Fell & District Local History Society
- West Cumbria Mines Research Group
- Whitehaven Local History Society
- Cumbria Coast Learning Network
- The Dock Museum
- Haig Colliery Mining Museum
- Maryport Maritime Museum
- Millom Discovery Centre
- Senhouse Roman Museum
- Cleator & Cleator Moor History Society
EventList powered by schlu.net
- 29.05.2013 | 11.00 Hooked on Crafts
- 04.06.2013 | 19.30 The Czech Connection
- 02.07.2013 | 19.30 Down Among the Red Men
- 06.08.2013 | 19.30 The Railways of West C...
- 03.09.2013 | 19.30 Social Evening
- 01.10.2013 | 19.30 AGM and 'Hidden Treasu...
- 05.11.2013 | 19.30 Newhouses - The Genera...
- 03.12.2013 | 19.30 On the Hunt for Fairie...