A day at the Victorian seaside (KS1)
Session Duration: 1 hour
Let us take you on a journey to learn what a trip to the seaside was like for the Victorians! How have holidays changed? Search through suitcases and examine curious artefacts to compare clothes, food and drink, entertainments, beach fun and games with what we do today.
See rare images of the seaside and beaches of the local area from the Beacon Museums own collection.
Hear the sounds and the songs inspired by the seaside “Oh I do like to be beside the seaside..”
Touch mystery objects to see if you can work out what they are and what they are made from.
Discuss what could you buy for a penny? What did people do before suncream? What other similarities and differences can you identify?
Smell the fresh sea air plus cockles and mussels.
Session led by Museum Learning Officer
- Objects include Codd neck bottle, Victorian coins, costumes, Penny lick, Punch and Judy puppets.
- Activity sheets available – Object investigation.
- Images of the past from the collection of the local area.
New Curriculum links – History
Key Stage 1
- Significant historical events, people and places in their own locality.
- Changes within living memory.
- Victorian Toys Topic box available.
- Geography, Citizenship, Literacy, Numeracy, Art and Design, science, IT.