Copeland’s history dates back thousands of years, long before the Romans or Vikings landed.
Find out how Norse settlers travelled to our coast and made this area their home.
Discover how Whitehaven was transformed from a small fishing hamlet to one of the most important ports in the country by the influential Lowther family.
Learn about the area’s American Connections and discover how merchant ships returned to port laden with exotic goods from around the world.
Unravel the mysteries of timekeeping and navigation before joining the crew aboard the “Maria Lowther”.
Find out about the cramped living conditions of “Mount Pleasant”.
- Try your hand at making a digital Iron Age sword
- Meet our Roman Soldier
- Be dazzled by our Viking Silver
- Scroll through our digital flip books
- Discover our talking Lowther family tree
- See yourself in outfits through the ages
- Experience the sights and sounds of the Sea
DID YOU KNOW?
150,000 items of clothing are washed at Sellafield every week, 10,000 of these are socks.
The Beacon Museum was purpose-built with access for all in mind.
All floors except our Pop Gallery Mezzanine are accessible to wheelchair users and our exhibitions are user-friendly for all ages and abilities.
- Induction loop system at Reception, all audio presentations
- Wheelchair accessible toilets
- Subtitled video presentations
- Tactile directional signage
- Transcripts of audios and oral history presentations
- Staff guide to accompany visitors available at pre-arranged request
- Large print information
Get in touch
We are happy to help with planning your visit. Please contact us for further information on Accessibility:
The Beacon Museum
West Strand, Whitehaven, Cumbria CA28 7LY